De-Cluttering Our Lives - Part 1

10/10/2012

As I've mentioned before, I have lots of stuff. Definitely more stuff than I truly need. Of course there are things around the house that I know I definitely don't need -- rather I want these things, but it is slowly starting to become apparent that I have too many wants taking over our home. 

Do I really need 5 vintage lamps that I am planning on DIYing? If I haven't worn a piece of clothing for 6 months (not counting seasonal items), do I really need to keep that piece in my tiny closet? Do I need 3 different curling irons, an abundance of fancy body washes, and 50 eye shadows (sorry mom!) -- let's face it, I like to wear natural makeup 99% of the time anyways. NO. No, no, no, no, NO! I don't need these things, and I am finally realizing that the majority of these wants are just adding more stress to my life than happiness. My weekly/daily to-do lists are constantly dominated by "organize this", "sort through that", "rearrange this"; and I frankly am just getting worn out by it all. If my vanity wasn't so cluttered, getting ready in the morning would be easier. If my closet wasn't so jam packed, it would be less of a hassle to pick out what to wear each day-- and it's like they say with the salad dressing aisle, 20 variations of Ranch dressing doesn't make your decision any easier. 

Basically, what I'm saying is.. I'm ready to let go of the wants, and concentrate on the needs. I'm ready to focus more on quality, and less on quantity. I don't think this is going to be easy for me (I'm thrifty, and I like inexpensive finds) but I think this is what is best for our lifestyle and our home. I think I need to seriously sit down, look at everything, and evaluate what is and isn't needed. 

I plan to take this one room at a time, and I plan to share my experience along the way. :)

Maybe this will encourage you to also take a step back and evaluate your stuff, after all things don't bring us happiness, people bring us happiness (and right now my guest room is WAY too jam packed for ANYONE to bring me happiness so this is definitely a needed change!) :)



xx, Shannon

5 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon.. These words ring true! I'm such a bargain shopper.. And sometimes I buy things I don't need cause they're "SUCH a deal". For me my problem is thrifiting.. $2 for a jacket I don't need seems too good to pass up right????? Hahaha! But yesh, keep us posted! And good luck!


    ♥Janette
    http://janettethejongleur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad there are others who feel the same way! I have the exact same problem, I am ALWAYS pulled in by a too-good-to-pass-up-deal! hahaha!! I will definitely keep you all posted on my progress!! :)

      Delete
  2. You two are so so cute! I support the 5 vintage lamps... :-D lol I'm not helping, am I? Xo
    megthecoolgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much!! And hahahahaha I literally lol'd at that one!

      P.s. I am being a terrible giver-awayer but I WILL be working on your blog design on Friday!!

      Delete
  3. This is so great! I really love the idea of simple living but I have so much stuff! ugh!

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover