DIY Mason Jar Snow Globe -- 12 DIY Days of Christmas

12/03/2012

Projects involving mason jars have totally been the trend these past few months. I completely understand why though; not only are mason jars super cute, but they're also relatively inexpensive and can serve many purposes -- candles, salad containers, vases, the options are endless! :)

Today's project would be a fun one to do with kids! :)

I totally was inspired by Anthropologie's mason jar snow globe from last season. :)

DIY Mason Jar Snowglobe


Necessary Supplies: Mason Jar (or any glass/plastic jar -- I also recycled a salsa jar), Water, Festive Trinkets for inside the Snow Globe (I used little bottle-brush trees, some foam scrapbooking goodies, and a little plastic nutcracker), Glitter or Craft Snow, Hot Glue.
Optional Supplies: Paint, Ribbon, Buttons.

DIY Mason Jar Snowglobe Supplies


1. To begin, prep your jar. If you're using a mason jar, you don't really have to do much here (unless you wanted to paint your lid!). I used both a mason jar and a salsa jar; so to prep the salsa jar I washed it out, removed the label and any extra glue with some goo gone, then I spraypainted the lid white.

2. Decide how you want to arrange the contents inside your jar. I wanted to use items that were of varying heights within the jar so that there wasn't too much empty space towards the top. Be sure not to get too close to the outer edge where the jar actually screws onto the lid. Keep your contents close to the middle of the jar to avoid any issues when trying to screw on your lid later!

3. Hot glue your snow globe contents to the inside of the lid.

4. Fill your jar with water and add some glitter for snow.

5. Tightly attach your lid, flip over the jar and shake!! Voila, you have a snowglobe! :)

DIY Mason Jar Snowglobe


6. If you're feeling super crafty, add any extra embellishments to the jar; maybe a ribbon around the lid, a gift tag if you wanted to give this as a present, be creative! :)

Lessons learned: Make sure the items you put in your snow globe do not bleed when submerged in water. My little bottle-brush trees bled blue! The day after making these little beauties, the water in my jar was tinted blue and my nutcracker was stained!! :( Avoid this by soaking your contents in water for a day or so in advance so that they bleed before placing in the snowglobe. :)

Well, that's it! Super simple, affordable, and a potential project to attempt with the kiddies!

Be sure to let me know if you decide to create your own homemade snow globes! :)

Check back tomorrow for Day 3 of the 12 DIY Days of Christmas!! :)



xx, Shannon

P.s. I'm linking up here!

16 comments:

  1. I bought the necessary supplies for a mason jar snow globe last week and I'm so excited to make it! I'm glad you mentioned the lessons learned. I definitely want my water clear. I bought snow confetti to add, as well as the glitter! I can't wait to make it :)

    M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to share how it turns out! :) Good lucj!

      Delete
  2. Ohmigod, I love this idea! Definitely making this as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love it!

    http://simplyshera.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I am totally sold on this craft! I save jars like it is my job, so I could do this today. This is a great idea and my kids loves glitter. Also, thanks for stopping by Home Everyday!

    Take care,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I save jars too! I thought I was the only one crazy enough, haha! :)

      Delete
  5. Love these!! I think I remember doing some tiny ones as a kid with baby food jars. Now I totally want to do this as an activity with the kids I nanny. Gotta find some cute stuff for inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an odd obsession with tiny things so I definitely think trying this with baby food jars would be so cute! :)
      Check out the dollar tree for cute fillers! :)

      Delete
  6. SO cute:) I've been wanting to make a snow globe. Maybe next weekend:) Thanks for stopping by TLC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your site is lovely! :) Thanks so popping over here!

      Delete
  7. These are so charming!!! I love teeny-tiny versions of things and those little trees make me smile! I'm definitely adding this to my holiday project list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love teeny things too!! Whoever said bigger is better is crazy! :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog to say hi. I love this project, and my quick scan of your blog tells me I should come back to check out more later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! Your blog is awesome and I will definitely be visiting often! :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover