Young House Love -- Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge

1/28/2013

Update! Want to see how I made over my awesome mid century modern desk?! Click here! Want to see the updates desk in my town home living room? Click here!

When my favorite bloggers, John and Sherry of Young House Love, invited their readers to join in on an unofficial Macklemore thrift shop challenge, I was MORE than excited!!! :) I mean seriously.. 1. I love YHL. 2. I love thrift shops and 3. I love a good adventure! :) This challenge was pretty much made for me. John and Sherdog deserve a virtual fist bump.

As far as I was concerned, my Sunday afternoon was set. I had a date with the dusty, a date with the dingy, and a date with hunting for those hidden treasures that I can't seem to get enough of -- with my main squeeze at my side and $20 in my pocket, of course! :)


For those readers who are like "what the heck is a Macklemore?!", please enjoy 3 minutes and 53 seconds of pure music to your ears (literally). Macklemore is the musician who sings the newly famous song entitled Thrift Shop. This song is SO catchy! Seriously, it gets stuck in my head on a daily basis.


Okay so now that your ears are smiling (yes, this is possible) let me share with you how my thrift shop adventure unfolded.

Aaron and I woke up bright and early and got ready to head over to St. Pete (about a 45 minute drive from the house towards the beach). The thrift shops are about 100x better in St. Pete than the ones around our house so the drive was definitely worth it.

The drive over the bridge was absolutely gorgeous! It was a high of 80 degrees and such a nice day out! Once we made it over to St. Pete, we hopped around a few different places, and while we did find some cool things, we couldn't really find what we were looking for!

We were on the hunt for:
Vintage Desk Fan
Mid Century Dresser/Credenza for TV
Desk Lamp
Side/End Table for Living Room

I seriously was getting so discouraged! I didn't want to buy something just to buy it, so I kept leaving every store empty handed. :( We were just about to head back over the bridge towards home when we came across a yard sale! Couldn't hurt to stop and check it out, right?! I love a good yard sale!! :)

I am SO glad we stopped!! This yard sale was loaded with vintage & retro goodies! And the best part about it was that the asking prices were extremely fair! My fav. :)

I ended up spending $11 and bringing home with me 3 fun items!

Mid Century Desk -- $10
Vintage 1982 Disney Pennant -- $1
Vintage Desk Lamp -- Thrown in for free!


So the day totally wasn't a waste, which was how I was feeling as we started to head home.

Okay, enough from me! Here's my treasures!


The desk isn't in perfect condition, but I think with a little love, it could really shine! :) I absolutely LOVE the tapered legs and bronze accents! :) I really think that this piece may look great next to the couch; especially since the options for it's use are endless! I could use it as a side table, desk area, bar, etc! :)





The couple hosting the yard sale were so sweet! They told me to take the desk lamp to go with the desk! How awesome is that?! I love how it looks and am totally thinking about spraypainting the grey pieces a fun, bright color! :)

The lamp must have been used in an office in California! This sticker was an electrical inspection sign-off from LA! :) 

Overall I had a great day with Aaron and I came home with some fun finds. :) Thanks for the motivation Sherry & John!! :)

I can't wait to refinish the items and show you where I use them in the house! :) I also have so much to update you on house-wise! So much has changed around here!! :) Let me know if you have any ideas for the desk or lamp!

Update! Want to see how I made over my awesome mid century modern desk?! Click here!
Want to see the updates desk in my town home living room? Click here!

So what did you do this weekend? Did you embark on any thrift shop adventures, or did you just lay low and spend the weekend at home? Are you loving the Thrift Shop song too? :)

xx, Shannon

Linking up:
Frugal Crafty Home

11 comments:

  1. ROFL! Not you, too! Agh! I can not get away from that song. lol My daughter showed me the video a few weeks back. Oh, my! Dudes coat and white velcro shoes are stylin'. ;)

    You got some fantastic finds! Loving that desk. Can't wait to see what you do with it! :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was right there with you! I didn't score as amazing finds as you (LOVE that desk), but sometimes that's how it goes, right? http://www.revamphomegoods.com/2013/01/poppin-tags-unofficial-macklemore.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some great finds, right there. That desk is just bursting with possibilities. I'm sure it would look awesome painted, stenciled, not painted... whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats an awesome desk! Can't wait to see what you do with it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Young House Love! So cool that you did their challenge...and what a find! That desk is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one seriously awesome find! The desk is beautiful. I'll be checking out some thrift shops on my lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much ladies!! The desk really was an awesome find, and I feel so lucky that I just happened upon it -- the thrift gods had my back!!

    Janelle, stenciling the desk is definitely sounding like a fun option! Hmm!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to do this challenge since I recently saw it on Young House Love. You got right on it and found some great items! I love that desk!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best of the Macklemore Challenge yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have been making my way through the yhl link ups and this is definitely one of my faves! three amazing scores!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just recently started reading your blog and read you lived in Florida (I just commented on your NC post). How funny, I live in St. Pete! I get so easily bored of our thrift stores and dream of traveling to Sarasota or North Tampa for thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover