Pinterest Challenge -- DIY Herb Planter Box

2/27/2013

I am so stoked to be participating in the Pinterest challenge!! Katie and Sherry are my two FAVORITE reads, so this was a fun one for me! :)


------------------

Spring is coming -- it is practically already here in Florida, and I am getting excited for flowers, plants, all things garden related! Since we live in a townhome, my garden really only extends to my patio, and a few potted plants outside of my patio. That being said, I have been trying to come up with smart ways to get the most "bang for my buck" in our patio real estate.

I love cooking with fresh herbs, so I decided that a narrow planter box would be a great addition to the patio, since I could fill it with a variety of herbs! I first checked out Pinterest for some ideas, and then went to home depot to see my options. There were lots of different planter boxes available -- plastic, wood, big, small, you name it. I was definitely learning towards the wood but I wasn't leaning towards the price. Planter boxes were around $50- $60 for a modest size and the price went up the bigger the box.
This one is $60 at Home Depot
And this one a whopping $230 at Home Depot

Seeing these crazy prices was all the motivation I needed...  I decided that I would build my own!! I was SO excited, but SO nervous at the same time. I have NEVER built anything like that before, and anytime I do build something, my dad is always there to help. But you know what, I'm no dumbie! I put on my big girl pants and decided to get down to business!! I headed over to the lumber section, drew a little 'plan' on a piece of paper, and picked up my supplies -- I went with 1" x 2" x 6' and 1" x 4" x 6' boards -- pine and whitewood I think? 
My total for wood and screws: around $25.

The next morning while Aaron was sleeping, I was ready to get down with the get down! It was time to build something!! Woooo!! Can you tell I was pumped?!

I measured and marked all of my cuts and got to work with my miter saw.


As I was working, I kept referring to the plans I drew up, and tried to lay my pieces out so I could see it come together.


After everything was cut, I used my clamps to hold pieces in place while I screwed them together. I really wished I had a Kreg jig so I could have used pocket holes to hide my screws -- next time!!


After I was done working with my 1" x 4" boards, I used the 1" x 2" boards to add legs, some "trim" and to hide a lot of my screws! :)



Somehow, this  thing magically worked out! I actually built something! By myself! Without any help! I drew up my own "plan", and even saved money in the process! And the best part about it? The sense of pride I had earned! I immediately facetimed my parents to show them and they were proud of me too -- Dad especially, he's the best and has taught me everything I know! As soon as Aaron was awake that afternoon, I just couldn't wait to show him too! :) It feels nice to build something! I'm going to have to do this more often. :)

I still think I may want to stain the box a nice rich color, and then add some cute chalkboard signs to mark each herb, but either way I am proud of myself for just building the thing! :)


So that's how I stopped pinning, and started doing! Did anyone else participate in the Pinterest challenge? Build anything lately? Excited for Spring and gardening? Interested in a plan and/or tutorial for my planter box? Spill the beans! :)

xx, Shannon

Check out Sherry's, Katie's, Michelle's, and Megan's projects! :)

P.s. Don't forget to enter my Custom Blog Design Giveaway that Carmel at Our Fifth House is hosting! :)

P.s.s I posted my ideas for our living room updates last night! Check them out and let me know what you think! :)

Linking up with: My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

35 comments:

  1. this is amazing -- i'm totally pinning this to be my next pinterest inspired project!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh!! Thank you SO much Cassie! I am a HUGE fan of your blog and read everyday so this makes me smile extra big to hear this from you! :)

      Delete
  2. How awesome! I love this idea, and love esp that it's homemade and used for plants. I need some for my front windows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm totally pinning this to my Pinterest DIY board. Thought you might like these too: http://hansenfamilychaos.blogspot.com/2013/02/hand-drawn-cards-pinterest-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Your cards are adorable, I especially love the pennant one! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed. Power tools scare me. I definitely need one of these for my deck!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be scared! Be one with the power tools! :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so awesome! now that I've tackled staining, I may be ready to try my hand at some real diy...otherwise known as working with non-premade things :)

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha this made me chuckle! You can do it girl! :)

      Delete
  7. Woo-Hoo! Looks fantastic! Home grown herbs are the BEST! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great. I have been looking for a solution for my herbs. They didn't do so well in our garden with all the squirrels and rabbits that we have around here. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought to build my own! I'm inspired now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels great to actually build something! And let's face it.. I'm cheap - ha! So the $$$ savings were great, too! :)

      Delete
  10. that turned out so well! I'm in Georgia, so spring is coming up here right after it hits Florida; I really need to start garden planning. I'll make this the first pin on my new garden board :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! I like the look of yours better than the Home Depot options! I am totally doing this for my deck! Thanks for the idea!

    P.S. I love your blog, and am now following you!

    http://bergerqueen.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic and I think I might end up doing the same once it's warmer here in NY! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blog! Inspiring me to try my hand at some power tools this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh yeah! Bring on the power tools!

      Delete
  14. that looks awesome!!! i love having fresh herbs on hand- what a great way to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love having fresh herbs to cook with. I think it'll look great stained!
    {lamourcheznous.wordpress.com}

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should be totally proud of this, I would have called my parents to brag too! Great job! I'm also jealous that you live somewhere warm enough to have fresh herbs in February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I seriously was beaming with pride and literally thought about knocking on my neighbor's door just to show them - ha!!

      Delete
  17. Looks great! Any tips on how to keep the herbs alive? :) Just kidding, I have rosemary that made it outside through the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA I usually just cross my fingers and hope Aaron takes pity on me and remembers to water them. :)

      Delete
  18. Love!! I so need to do this, thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your planter box turned out amazing! I'm impressed you made it without any instructions or plans!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am no good with power tools, so impressed that you made this by yourself....Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a really great job. It's not always easy, but you did we'll with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great! We want to make one ourselves. Can you tell me what size screws you used?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could you post/send me a supplies list? I really want to make this but could use some guidance on how much to buy and how to make the cuts! Please and thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This IS really great... IF!! you have the power tools. Most girls DO NOT have these power tools.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover