Simple Coffee Table Tray Makeover

2/25/2013

We have a simple tray that normally sits on our end table next to the couch. We've had it for a few years and over time, it has taken a little bit of a beating. We learned the hard way that the printed burlap fabric that covers the inside of the tray bleeds if it gets wet. We would always use this tray to place our drinks on so that we wouldn't have to sit them on the end table.  As a result, the tray looked like this..



So, since the tray wasn't in the best of shape, I decided it would be fun to give it a makeover! I didn't want to spend any additional money on the tray since I have an abundance of random supplies available at home. I took a look at what I had available and decided to recover the inside of the tray with new fabric, and to add a little bit of a fun accent while at it!



I found a bright and cheerful fabric that I thought would be a fun way to spice up the tray! I laid it inside of the tray and cut it to size. I wasn't super careful when cutting it to size since I planned on adding some trim to the edges. I covered the burlap fabric with a layer of Mod Podge and then placed the fabric on top and smoothed out any air bubbles.


Then I used hot glue to line the edges with some fun, yellow pom pom trim! :) Pom pom trim is seriously so cute, I want to add it to everything!!

After the tray was set and dry, I placed it on top of our ottoman (which is currently covered with a throw since it is a DIY work in progress, details to come soon!) and called it a day! I love how fun and colorful it is! :) And I love that the project really only took about 15 minutes and didn't cost me anything! Plus if I get tired of the fabric, it would be super simple to switch it up! :)



So what do you think? Did you tackle any DIY projects this weekend -- big or small? We actually did a lot of cleaning and organizing this weekend, and squeezed some projects in while we were at it! I can't wait to share! :)

xx, Shannon

P.s. Thank you so much for all the kind comments and emails from all of my new followers! :) It really was overwhelming to hear such nice remarks from so many people! :) You all rock!

4 comments:

  1. I love what you did with it! :) Wasn't crazy about the key print - looks so much brighter and more fun now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this! especially since i am obsessed with pom poms and am always thinking of a million ways to put them on everything! i used the same yellow pom poms as trim on my curtains (posted here!)
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower! Found through your Etsy site (which I love!!). Great DIY and can't wait to try myself. I'll be emailing you soon for some help designing my blog. (It's a personal blog which I need to integrate my baking business). :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover