My Weekend in North Carolina

3/22/2013

As I eluded to yesterday, I flew up to North Carolina last weekend to visit my parents. Its kind of weird for me to say that since my parents live in Florida too; however, things are going to be changing with my family, so may as well share that before I jump into the fun weekend!

To make a long story short, my Dad works at a nuclear power plant in Florida. This power plant underwent some damage a few years back and as a result was not running. The decision as to whether to fix the damage (a very expensive fix with an uncertain outcome) or to close down the plant was looming and about 2 months ago the decision was made. The plant was closing. Now, I'm sure this is no big deal to a lot of different areas, but where I grew up there really wasn't much going on. To paint a better picture, the county I lived in only had a handful of high schools, everyone knew everyone, a department store in our "mall" was a K-Mart, we got our first Wal Mart about 8 years ago, and our first Olive Garden about 3 years ago. Basically what I'm saying is, we lived in a small, rural town (though it has GREATLY developed from when my family first moved there 23 years ago). If you lived where I lived you were either A. retired and relocated from the Northeast, B. owned your own business or private practice, or C. worked at the power plant. Literally, the main reason why the majority of people came to live in my hometown for the first place, was because of a job at the power plant. So the power plant closing was a big, BIG deal. My family is fortunate enough that my Dad works extremely hard and has built a name for himself over the years (thus the reason my dad is currently in North Carolina, helping out another plant and exploring his job options). However, there were many other families who were not as fortunate, and not really as able to just uproot their lives and move. A very sad situation.

So, my parents are moving. I never thought I would say those words. My parents love where they live; the community is quiet, there's lots of lakes, rivers, and the Gulf to take the boat out on, to go fishing. It was perfect for them. So to say that they're moving is still kind of rendering odd in my mind. Thankfully my parents are very close to paying off their mortgage on my childhood home, so that is not going anywhere. They're just going to look to buy a second (and much smaller) home in North Carolina, live and work there for the next 6-7 years when my Dad would retire, and they would then split their time between Florida and North Carolina. It's all very different, and is taking some getting used to, but my Mom and Dad are very excited. They love North Carolina, and this is kind of a little adventure for them, so while I am sad that my parents won't always be a hop, skip, and a jump away, I am also very excited for their new adventure.

Whoa! Sorry to get all serious on you guys! I normally like to keep it light around here, but wanted to share so this all made sense. :)

Back to the reason of this post, my trip up to North Carolina to check out the area they were looking at. :) I flew out Friday afternoon after a short day at work, and arrived late that evening. We had to drive about 45 minutes from the airport to get to the rental house my dad's company had him staying in while he was helping out this other plant. The rental house is on Oak Island and is literally steps from the beach!! Those lucky ducks!

The rental house.

View of the beach from the front balcony.






The beach was absolutely gorgeous! I loved all the houses right next to the dunes, the sand was soft, and the waves were a nice treat! We go to the beach all the time, but around here they're pretty crowded, a little touristy, and the water is quite flat. So it was nice to find a peaceful area, since it's currently the "off-season."We have found some fave spots though that are really nice & not touristy if you ever visit Florida and need some suggestions, holler at your girl!

I was only going to be in town for about a day and a half, so we spent all of our time exploring!
We visited downtown Southport, which is where they filmed the movie Safe Haven -- and if you didn't know that, you would quickly find out since literally every place I went into was selling something from the movie, cheesy t-shirts or mugs, or was the talk of the town, HA! We also went to lots of thrift shops and antique stores! I even bought a little something that I will share next week. :)







After exploring the cute little downtown area, my parents took me to see the rental house that they're interested in. It was in one of the nicest communities I have ever seen. It had a marina, lots of clubhouses, walking paths, etc. And all of the houses were GORGEOUS! They all were new but had such nice character, and weren't cookie cutter houses like you see a lot of the time in planned communities in Florida.



The inside of the house is really nice too, and my mom already has tons of ideas for furnishings and decorating! Maybe I'll have to share some photos once they get in and settled! :)

I had a great weekend with the old folks and can't wait to visit again when Aaron can come too! :)




I mean seriously, how could you not love them? Haha!!

I'll share some more next week. :) Anyone else been to Southport before? Or live in North Carolina? It's such a pretty state! Any fun plans for the weekend? I'll just be laying low at home, getting some work done!

xx, Shannon

13 comments:

  1. I live in Charlotte and my husband's fam has a house at Long Beach on Oak Island. Love, love, love the Southport area. It's a very quiet family beach which is what I like - not much to do but relax. I hope your parents enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat!! Southport and Oak Island were both so nice! :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to have a home in NC! Totally my fave state-the "safe haven" art totally made me laugh. Good spy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha I was cracking up at the Safe Haven art EVERYWHERE!!!

      Delete
  3. I live so close to Oak Island @ the island next door, Holden Beach! I just recently found your blog and have enjoyed reading backwards. You should also try the downtown Wilmington area - lots of fun finds there too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh how cool!! :) We did explore Wilmington a little bit, and there is just so much to do there! Tons of malls, shopping, and I noticed lots of health food stores! Wish we had more of those here! :)

      It's such a small world! Maybe we'll run into each other when I'm up visiting next! :)

      Shannon

      Delete
  4. I'm North Carolina born and bred, I live a little farther west in Greensboro, but I'm originally from the eastern part of the state. I know I'm biased, but I think NC is the best state in the union :) Once they get settled in and have some time to venture farther, they should definitely take a trip up the coast and visit the Outer Banks. Nags Head is our favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass that along to my mom! Thanks Laura!

      Delete
  5. I live in on the gulf coast of Florida and dream of moving to North Carolina. What's funny is my aunt and uncle lived in Florida then eventually moved there. Maybe it's just the state to move to from Florida?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the Gulf coast, too!! NEIGHBORS!

      Delete
  6. Wilmington, NC is my favorite place on earth. I could sit on the deck at Elijah's restaurant all day long looking out at the river. Doesn't hurt that Dawson's Creek is one of my favorite shows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon. I've lived in NC all of my life. We live in the central part of the state and own a teeny tiny condo on the beach on Topsail Island, which is about a 45 minute drive from Wilmington. I've spent many, many happy hours on Oak Island and in Southport! So wonderful that you and your parents love it there. It really is a wonderful place to live and visit. What a small world we live in!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover