Dream Design

4/29/2013

If you haven't already noticed, I've got a thing for mid century modern gorgeousness. Like, it's obsessive. If you follow me on Pinterest, you've seen this first hand. :)

Maybe I was born in the wrong decade? I probably should have lived in the 70s when poofy, crazy hair was cool. Then my afro hair would be acceptable and I wouldn't have to blowdry it everyday... not that I do that now. Waaaayyy too lazy.

I digress. Where were we?

Oh, right. I am mid century modern obsessed. Emily Henderson is one of my favorite designers, I absolutely LOVE her design style, which makes sense since she uses a lot of vintage, mid century modern elements in her designs. Plus she's a thrift shop/flea market junkie, and I like that in a designer. 

When I was perusing her blog the other day, I saw a recent living/dining room that she made over, and seriously?!!! I am pretty sure absolutely positive I was drooling. I showed it to Aaron about 83 times and told him that when we buy/build our dream home one day, it has to look like this. I think he was watching baseball or something, so he merrily obliged. This is written evidence that my house will look like this one day. You all are witnesses.

MUAHAHAHA.

Alright enough chit chat, let's get serious.

Feast your eyes on my dream design







All photos from Emily Henderson's Blog

That couch, chair, coffee table, chandelier, dining set, bar cart, everything. I love it so much! This design style seriously speaks to me. I can hear it calling my name. Totally normal, promise.

Do you feel like theres a certain design style you just can't get enough of? Do you love mid century modern as much as I do? Or are you more of a traditional/contemporary/whatever is trendy at the moment fan? Maybe you like a mix of different design styles? Share! :)

xx, Shannon

P.s. we went to Ikea to look at butcher block this weekend.. and we may or may not have looked at some other kitchen things too!! More details to come!

12 comments:

  1. i LOVE mid century modern too and emily henderson is one of my fave designers too (duh). i seriously love everything about this space and would not change one thing. how can we copy it all and transport it to our homes??
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh Jackie, I wish we could just snap our fingers and have it replicated in our houses. We need to invent that asap!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, one of my all-time favourite designs. I love the turquoise (especially the sofa) and pink together. I never thought I would like shots of pink in a space! I think this design was really what inspired me to purchase my mid-century modern credenza this weekend.
    {lamourcheznous.wordpress.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at "mid-century modern credenza"! Ahhh!! So jealous!

      Holy frijoles batman! That piece is STUNNING! I absolutely love it! And for $100 dollars, you hit the credenza jackpot! Way to go girl!

      Delete
  3. Oh I LOVE her designs. She makes everything look so effortless and easy, while I agonize over every decision and it looks not even one percent as good as her stuff. I'm crazy about that collection of plants in the window!

    Kelly @ View Along the Way
    www.viewalongtheway.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Kelly, your house is GORGEOUS and looks effortlessly put together to me. :)

      Delete
  4. These designs are wonderful. But take it from me, I was in HS in the mid 70's. I have naturally wavy, frizzy, curly hair and absolutely NO ONE wore their hair anything like that. We spent hours and hours getting flat smooth hair - ALL without blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, or good hair products like we have today. Also I NEVER saw a room in the 60s or 70s that was this cool. I've seen the elements of course, but they were generally overwhelmed by the nasty olive sculpted or shag carpet and Naugahyde, vinyl or quilted upholstery fabric. Trust me - their were no turquoise velvet sofas then. Also I made it all the way through 3 years of college without a computer. I always thought that our hair type was more like the 20s through 40s - and I know for sure I didn't want to live then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, your comment made me laugh! My mom also went to HS in the 70s and she always used to tell me how she would straighten her hair with an iron!! It's so crazy how much the times have changed in 30ish years! I can't even imagine a day without my iPhone, let alone 3 years of college without a computer! So much respect for you!

      Delete
  5. HI Shannon, these photos are of Bri Emory's house, she blogs at DESIGNLOVEFEST.com, she kinda rocks all around. And she teaches a blog shop! I follow her in IG and she is super fun. I can't wait to see the coffee table when it's done. Oh, I'll be at Haven, that's how I found you. And, I love your parents new house. I grew up in Greensboro NC and spent summers at Myrtle beach then Wrightesville as I got older, awesome part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ogled over this one, too when she posted it! I love me some EH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who is the photographer that did the beach scenes in the Dining Room?
    Great spaces!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover