Living Room Update -- DIY Fauxdenza

4/18/2013

Fauxdenzas have been popping up all over the blogosphere, and as soon as I first laid eyes on one, I knew that I wanted to have a fauxdenza in my living room! -- For those who have never heard of a "fauxdenza" the term was coined by Ana of Door Sixteen a few years back, and really its a fancy word for a fake credenza.

DIY Fauxdenza

The Ikea expedit entertainment center that we bought for out first apartment back in 2010 (wow that seems SO long ago) did us well in our first two apartments -- though I will be the first to admit that taking it apart and putting it back together again 3 times was not my idea of fun. It was a huge purchase for us at the time (we just finished school and didn't have much money to spend on a big piece of furniture) so we actually felt really cool and excited to buy something like this on our own! 


October 2012

When we moved into our townhome in 2011, we of course brought the huge entertainment center with us because it was what we knew, and we were comfortable with it. As soon as we got it in the space I didn't love it, but I was going to live with it because we had just bought our first home and we again did not have the money to blow on something new. Looking back, I am so glad we didn't rush into buying something because I can pretty much guarantee it wouldn't have been nearly as awesome as our fauxdenza is now. :)

So a couple months ago I started showing Aaron fauxdenzas online to see if he liked the look. Luckily for me he did like the look! Two tickets for the fauxdenza train, wham bam thank you ma'am!

I pulled out the tape measure and notepad, and started jotting down ideas. Then I went to the web to do my research; I wanted to find the best way to approach my fauxdenza adventure and since many intelligent ladies have done this before, why wouldn't I want to utilize their suggestions!?


A few days later we were at Ikea, ready to purchase our supplies -- and of course we had a cinnamon bun and frozen yogurt too. 0:)

If you follow along on Instagram (@fabvintage) you'll remember this pic!


The next Friday night when Aaron was at work (are you shocked by this one? Our house is not safe from my madness when Aaron is at work... muahahaha!!!) I got down to business. A weekend of working hard later, and we were at this point.

Ikea Cabinets Fauxdenza

Seriously, it is one of my absolute favorite things in the whole house. I love it!!!! And I can't believe that I built that thing ALL by myself (if you're doubting whether you can do this, you can!!!)

The next night that Aaron was off of work, he helped me mount the TV -- there was no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I was trying to mount the TV on my own lol. That's one really awkward text message waiting to happen... "uhm Aaron... I kinda sorta dropped and broke the TV in 3 million pieces. By the way could you bring me home a coffee in the morning :)?". Yeah, wasn't even going to think about going there.

We mounted that bad boy, ran the wires through the wall, and ended with this.

Fauxdenza Mounted TV

A little bit of decorating later, and my masterpiece was done (well minus the lack of photos in my 2 frames).

Fauxdenza

Look ma, no wires!

Fauxdenza

Perfection.

Fauxdenza

Fauxdenza

Fauxdenza

Are angels singing when you look at those photos or is it just me? I love not seeing any wires. Wires are my other arch nemesis (folding clothes being the #1 arch nemesis) so hiding those nasty things for a clean and streamlined look seriously let the fauxdenza be the star of the show! Lovely darling, just lovely!

If you're interested in building your own fauxdenza, I'll be sharing a full tutorial and product list next week, so be sure to check back!

So what do you think? The fauxdenza looks totally awesome right? I love how it really modernizes the living room! Have any of you built a fauxdenza? Do you like to work on projects when your hubby/boyfriend isn't home? Is your house also not safe when you get a crazy idea? Or am I the only crazy one around here (quite possible)?!

xx, Shannon

19 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love all the fauxdenzas, but have nowhere one would work in my house, so I must admire them from afar :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I does look absolutely gorgeous. I have an Aaron too, and the house is also not safe when he is at work (cue the evil laughter). Thanks for sharing this!
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me giggle. :) Glad I am not the only sneaky one! hehe!

      Loved reading your blog today! :)

      Delete
  3. This is really neat ~ I've never heard of the fauxdenza (sounds like cat in the hat!) I'm now following via instagram (@VMG206).
    I'm visiting you today from twelve-o-eight. I'm co-hosting a Link Up that started Monday and would LOVE for you to link this! I hope you get a chance to stop by, Link Up and comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    My Mom Frame ~ Printables

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, it turned out so awesome! I am so glad I discovered you (from Tweak it Tues.) I am currently trying to come up with something to go under my TV. In fact I talked about in my post today. I love yours and have never heard of a fauxdenza. Thanks so much for sharing yours. Have a great week! Blessings~Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. love!! just saw this from house of heps and i also just pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming from HoH and I love this. I bought me a ticket on the wall mounted credenza a while back, but somehow never have never heard of them as a fauxdenza. Love it. (The name, and it.) So clean. So modern. I want much. I've stopped asking my husband what he wants, it's safer that way. He'd rather do his thing and let me do mine and not get pulled into my many, many project ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thanks so much for stopping over and for your kind words! :)

      Delete
  7. Love it! I can't wait for the tutorial!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Will have it up tomorrow or Monday! :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Shannon, Love the fauxdenza! Can't wait for the tutorial either. I've been looking for a similar option the narrow space in my kitchen.

      Delete
  8. Love this! You did a great job! Thank you so much for linking up this week! Hope you can join the party again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods! Can't wait to see what you bring to the party next week! And don't forget to checkout the features on Sunday.

    ~Chelsea @ Married Filing Jointly
    http://www.marriedfiling-jointly.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving this fauxdenza and in redoing my husband's office, I think this might be the missing link! I hate wires too, and they're currently showing in there, and it's driving me mad. (And folding clothes is another one on my list, so perhaps we're distant cousins...). Well done!!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my April Project Party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! I was wondering if you have a link to a tutorial for this? Would love to know how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are they 30 in or 39 in cabinets? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover