My Light & Bright Minty Green Bedroom

4/23/2013

The saying the third time's the charm definitely applied to me painting our bedroom three times last weekend. By the time I got to that third color, repainting the room was totally worth it!


I wanted light, bright, and airy and that immediately equated to me as white/off-white/light gray. After I struck-out on the first two, I realized that light and airy doesn't have to be achieved by white, or neutral only paint -- I just needed to choose a color I liked and tone it down (choose one of the lighter hues on the swatch).

I brought home a sample size of a pretty blue and a mint green, hoping one would work as is. But of course, the colors were definitely not working for me... that would be too easy. It's crazy how you can envision a color so beautifully at the paint store, and then as soon as you get it in your home, in your lighting, with your things; you hate it.


I was happy with the blue/green family that I was working with so I decided to try mixing my paints to come up with a shade I really loved (that also worked with and not against our cherry furniture and floors). I wanted to be able to see the color right there in the room; rather than try to choose in the paint store again.

I started mixing the blue, green, and some white. I painted all of my concoctions on the wall and decided on a winner!


I painted my winner on a paintstick, brought that into the paint store, and had it custom color matched! Success!! :)



I also made that headboard this weekend! I'm really happy with how it turned out and plan on sharing more details later this week. :)

This room still needs a lot of work, but I think its definitely on it's way. :) One thing's for sure, I need a mirror over that bed. The ceilings are so tall in this room, but nothing is drawing the eye up towards them.


A quickie photoshop of a mirror and a bench at the end of the bed. I'll take it! :) I think we may need taller lamps too. And maybe a stenciled accent wall? Hmmm. :) Don't tell Aaron. 0:)

So, do you like the color? Does it feel light, bright, and airy to you, too?! :) Do you tend to prefer lighter or darker colors in the bedroom? Have you ever mixed your own color?

xx, Shannon

P.s. Anyone interested in the color formula, here it is!

P.s.s. If you love creative DIYs, you should check out Hello Lidy. Seriously, she is so creative! Lidy is sharing my fauxdenza post today. :)

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the color formula! I think it came out so lovely and it definitely doesn't clash with you cherry furniture! Also - your headboard looks so great - you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yelle!! :) The headboard wasn't too tough of a task! I'll be sharing a tutorial later this week!

      Delete
  2. love how it turned out. i would totally not be patient enough to paint several times, but it really is worth it in the long run to find something you love. that headboard is awesome and i think some taller lamps would look great with your high ceilings as well.
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com
    -- $50 Amazon Giftcard Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the color of your walls! :)

    xx Denysia Yu
    http://thatlaitgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice! My bedroom at my parents house is this mint green and that light blue you've got there. The lighter tones are just really calming and relaxing! Hope this works out for you!

    -Chelsea
    chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful choice. Your headboard looks totally fabulous! Can't wait to see it all finished:)
    Krista @thehappyhousie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a little laugh at seeing your test wall with all that paint. But hey, it's the best way to see what looks great since you mixed your own color. Congrats on finally getting your light, bright, and airy room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Suzanne! Sometimes you just have to be a little crazy to be happiest with the outcome!

      Delete
  7. well i am really impress by your work. one of the most outstanding stuff i have seen.
    Beds and Mattresses shop

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover