New House -- Dining Room

9/22/2013

Our new dining room is pretty much my favorite room in the house, which is why I decided to share it first! The kitchen is a close second, and will probably be numba one once it gets spruced up a bit!

So, the dining room is directly off of the main entrance way, I guess you could actually call it a foyer! Holy crap. I have a foyer.. you know what that means? That means I'm fancy. GUYS. I AM FANCY. **Pinky Up**

Okay, funs over. Pinky back down so I can continue typing. You guys keep yours up.

The reason that the dining room is my favorite has to be both the really pretty moldings, and the overall symmetry of the room. I love symmetry. When I was younger there was a house we always used to pass that was completely symmetrical. It was to me what that big ol' hot pink Dream House is to Barbie. I loved it. I wanted it. I needed it. Symmetry makes me happy. I am a self-proclaimed weirdo.

Now that we've gotten that settled, let's take a look at my new dining room!



So what do you think? It's a pretty nice space to work with! Especially since we've never had a formal dining room before yet we have hosted Thanksgiving for both my family and Aaron's for the past 2 years. THIS YEAR we will not have to move out the current table and chairs and replace them with ugly folding versions just to fit everyone. THIS YEAR we will not all be crammed into one tiny living area. THIS YEAR we will not eat on paper plates (maybe - HAHA). THIS YEAR we will still eat as much food as we did last year and the year before that!!!!! THIS IS MY YEAR PEOPLE! The year of the dining room. Can you tell I'm excited?

However, this will not be my year if I do not 1. Buy a dining table. 2. Paint/Beautify/Decorate the room.

I've got a lot of work cut out for me, but I am so excited about the possibilities! I also have already dreamed up the entire space in my head so now I just have to make it a reality!

I'm going to share my idea with you guys soon, but first wanted to get your opinion. I'm a little torn on what to do with the wall color. Do I go dark and moody? Or light and bright? If I went light and bright, I would do an accent color on the ceiling. If I went dark and moody, I'd keep the trim and ceiling bright white, and just paint the upper half of the walls.

What do you think? Do you prefer a dark dining room? Or something light? Or do I go totally crazy and wallpaper the upper half?! HALP!

Here's a few looks I'm liking!

Dark:

Source


Light

Source

Source Unknown

Which do you prefer? I think I'm leaning towards the lighter colors since the dining room is open to the living room. What do you think?
xx, Shannon

Image Map

19 comments:

  1. oh garsh! I love both ideas! If you get a lot of light in there then dark would be so fun - but I have actually lived with a dark dining room for several years now and I'm getting ready to go light, just for the change of it.. either way you go I can't wait to see it because I know it'll be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli! I'm a little nervous if I went dark I'd want to go light shortly down the road, too... And we all know its easier to go light first then dark later, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Love all the space - I really like the lighter tone room - I think with the light from the windows it will really make a great statement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I was thinking Chernee!

      Delete
  3. Oh very pretty!! You are FANCY! I am always torn between dark and light too - I like so many different looks. I did a dark color on the walls in our dining room above the chair rail and then kept the bottom half of the wall light. See I can't decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Tara sounds like you're a mastermind who ended up with the best of both worlds! Kudos to you!

      Delete
  4. I am super jealous of that dining room! I love the wainscoting, so fancy! Personally, I like the idea of a light dining room and you could do something really fun with the ceiling color. But, the dark moody dining room does look really pretty with the white trim. I think it just depends on the feel you're going for with your whole house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, that's a good point. I'm pretty sure I've been digging light and airy lately. :)

      Delete
  5. dark!! Love dark rooms, with the white ont he bottom it'll still be really bright :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a tough decision! Thanks for weighing in Justynn! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of the dark! It makes for a much warmer entertaining atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about that! Ahhh I'm so torn!

      Delete
  7. light paint is better, with darkish furnitures. bonne chance ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking a dark dining table with white chairs! :) Merci!

      Delete
  8. Love the dark and moody! will look great with all the white molding and a splash of color we all know you will add!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover