New House -- Kitchen

9/24/2013

This kitchen is easily about 100 times better than the townhouse kitchen when it comes to size and functionality. As I unpacked what seemed like 46 kitchen boxes, I seriously was amazed by the amount of crap I somehow fit into the last kitchen. Guys, side note.. What is wrong with me? There are only TWO of us in this house and we just became fancy last week when we inherited a foyer, so why on Earth did I have so many freakin' plates? The old kitchen had like 5 cabinets and they were literally filled to the brim. If you wanted something specific, chances are you had to dig to the back of the cabinet or lift up 10,000 plates to get to the ones you wanted all the way at the bottom of the stack. Totally normal. And totally a #firstworldproblem.

WELL, this is certainly not the case anymore! WE HAVE SPACE. Finally!!

I have a cabinet just for pyrex glass storage containers, a cabinet just for coffee mugs, TWO lazy susan corner cabinets, and the list of cabinet amazingness goes on. The best part? I've unpacked all the kitchen boxes and still have EMPTY cabinets... lots of them! YESSSSS.

So with that being said, the cabinet space and layout of this new kitchen is seriously fabulous, but there's always two sides to every story, right?
I really, really, really dislike the look of this kitchen. I know some people love wood cabinets, but I am not one of those people. I like white kitchens. With subway tile. And marble. Pops of color here and there. Yeah, that's what I like.

So I've definitely got plans for this kitchen. BIG ones. Come to mama!

Here's what the kitchen looked like before we moved in!








The cabinets are SO tall! I'm 5'10" and I can't reach the top without a step stool! I love how the kitchen is open to the living area with the bar and eat in space! And I absolutely LOVE the french doors that lead to the back porch!

So while I don't love the overall cosmetic look of the kitchen, I love the space, the layout, and the upgraded finishes it offers us! :) A little bit of DIY can definitely make this space more our style, and I am SO excited about the possibility this room has to offer!

Oh yeah, did I mention we have a ginormous pantry? We could be crazy doomsday preppers with this thing!




Must. Not. Stockpile. Canned. Goods. :)

So what do you think about the kitchen? Can you envision it in it's beautiful white and carrera marble glory?

xx, Shannon

Image Map

14 comments:

  1. Love seeing all the pictures of the new house - what awesome storage! Can't wait to see the kitchen transform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chernee! I can't wait to transform it!

      Delete
  2. i am loving this room by room home tour, there is sooo much space! that kitchen is going to be amazing once you're done with it! (and i think it looks pretty darn good already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We moved into our home almost three years ago, and I literally have DREAMS about painting the cabinets white. Alabaster to be specific. The cabinets are only four years old, and my husband refuses to let me paint them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL this made me laugh! Maybe you should carry some paint through the kitchen, strategically place something on the floor, "trip" over it, splattering the paint on the cabinets. End it with an oops and a smile/wink. HAHA! Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I am not big on medium-colored wood cabinets either. Very nineties. But your layout is great and I think a white or grey paint job will be fantastic.

    Don't you wonder what's going thru people's minds when they put light-colored tile in a kitchen? I am like, Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree Katie, VERY nineties!

      And YES! Why, why WHY?! I hate those tiles! And the disgustingly dirty no matter how much I clean grout lines! And of course they're in the bathrooms too. UGH!

      Delete
  5. Love your kitchen! I too suffer from too many cabinet-itis :) I too have golden, honey-toned cabinets :( I have wanted to paint them the past two years. I even had a consultant from Home Depot come in to give me a quote. He was like, "why do you wanna paint them when they're in perfect condition?" Ugh! Men just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAH! Men, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

      Luckily, I think Aaron is on board!!

      Delete
  6. What a great kitchen! I am also not a fan of wood cabinets, which is what our kitchen has as well. If we ever buy this house, I told my husband the first thing I am doing is painting or replacing our cabinets with glorious white beauties! And marble counters? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great kitchen! I am also not a fan of wood cabinets, which is what our kitchen has as well. If we ever buy this house, I told my husband the first thing I am doing is painting or replacing our cabinets with glorious white beauties! And marble counters? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, such a gorgeous kitchen :) I wish my house is just as big! Just got a new apartment and I'm excited about decorating. Please do an inspiration board for 1000 thread count flat sheet or bedroom style inspiration, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, this is super weird. I just commented about how we're the same age and doing the same-ish DIY things and stuff? We also have the exact same colour paint in our kitchen, except it goes all through the living room, dining room and hallway (ick, I can't wait to paint it all).
    Also? We have the same square things on all our door frame corners. What on earth are those things called? I personally like them, because they add character to our home.
    Anyways. Weird. Now I seem stalker-esque. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover