Help! Front Door Paint Color?!

4/10/2014

Hi all! With the warmer temperatures lately, I've been itching to get outdoors and work on sprucing up our patios, flower beds, and the yard in general (though thats mostly Aaron's realm, I really just dump the wheelbarrow lol).

Our front door's paint job has definitely seen better days. It's faded, chipping, and overall I was just ready for a change.



So I messed around with the Sherwin Williams color visualizer tool (seriously, so cool!) and decided that I wanted to paint the front door black. We're kinda limited with colors since the roof and trim of our white house is a dark green. I thought black would be a nice, modern touch and would help tone down the red in the faux brick on the patio.

This photo is after the first coat, and I'm second guessing myself.



I threw in the new doormat, wreath, and basket/hydrangea to try and better visualize and I'm still not sure... Do I paint the second coat and see if it's just that throwing me off? Or do I switch this up completely?

Here's a few other options I liked. I'm really digging the 3 darker blues (Honorable, Loyal, and Naval).








The Tanager is kind of funny to throw in there since the door was originally red, lol.

So what do you guys think? Paint the second coat of Black (BM Onyx) or switch to one of the blues? Or did you like a different color better?

HALP!!!!!

xx, Shannon

Image Map

15 comments:

  1. I vote the honorable or loyal blue! Both bold and beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those too and am currently now trying to find a spot for them in my house! :) Thanks Carli!

      Delete
  2. I vote for the Naval Blue, it will be close to the black you were wanting but will look a little richer. I have had a similar color for several years and have been very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input Janet! Such a pretty color!

      Delete
  3. I took a long second look. You already have the paint, the first coat looks good, finish a second coat and then make a decision. It really does look very classy and nice. I don't know what the rest of your house looks like and you can add more color with flowers in pots or porch accessories. My vote after more thought is to get out there on the porch and finish the job, it looks great and the photoshopped bright colored doors are thawing you off mid-project. OK, I said that in my best cheer leading voice. I think it will look great and I have never met a paint job that looked great half finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Janet, especially since a) you already have the paint and b) black is notoriously a challenging color (sometimes a three-coater) that doesn't look good until the very end.

      Delete
    2. Thank you both! :) I went ahead and finished the black and what do you know?! I love it! :)

      Delete
  4. Parakeet is super fun. But do you want fun? Or do you want serious? Pick what mood you want when you're walking up to your door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good thought to consider! Thanks beapea!

      Delete
  5. I really like the black for a change of pace. The tanager would be my second choice but you aren't making much change if you go that way. Honeycomb is my next choice. I don't care for any of the blues as much. Knowing you have a dark green roof I'm afraid you may not be happy with the blues. Love the pops of pink with the black door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I love the pops of pink, too! I actually loved it so much I went out and bought another pink hydrangea, HA!

      Delete
  6. My vote is for the cooled blue! Bright and Springy-- yet perfect for all year long, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a gorgeous color! Thanks Cate!

      Delete
  7. I'm actually really loving the black door! I vote you continue the way you were originally going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I finished the black, I LOVE it! :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover