There was a lot of work that had to be done before we would be able to install the new floors.
We had to tear out carpet (easy peasy!!), tile (not as easy peasy but not terrible), and glued-down engineered hardwood (torture... an absolutely miserable task). I say "we" but I have to give major props to Aaron because being pregnant it really wasn't safe for me to use the bigger tools that we rented to tackle the tile and hardwood. He's basically a floor removal pro at this point! Love you sweetie!
As a refresher, here's what the entry, dining room, living room, and kitchen flooring looked like when we moved in.
Ripping out the tile in the kitchen, eat-in area, hallway and laundry room took us probably about 8-10 hours total. We ended up renting a demolition hammer which made things a lot easier but Aaron also used a wonder bar and hammer for the harder to reach areas. We used a floor scraper attachment on the demo hammer to remove the leftover mortar from the concrete subfloor since we needed a nice and smooth surface in order to install the new floor.
We purchased a Bagster for all of our tile debris. It wasn't necessarily cheap but definitely made the job easier!
The carpet was easily removed from the dining room and living room. That was child's play when you compared to the work we had just done in the kitchen. This took less than an hour.
And then came the foyer. Damn that foyer. It's a small probably 9' x 14' area that literally was the bane of our existence. The glued down engineered hardwood was glued directly to the concrete subfloor and absolutely did not want to budge! We tried loosening the glue with a heat gun, didn't help. Then we tried drilling holes and pouring water on the floors to loosen the glue, NOTHING (but a mess LOL)!! What ended up working best for us (and it still was a pain) was setting the circular saw to the height of the floor and cutting perpendicular to the direction the floors were laid in 12" rows. Then we used the demo hammer with the floor scraper to try and loosen each 12" section of floor. Aaron would use the tool and I would help pull/pry the piece up as he was working under it. This was a slow process but it worked -- took 4-6 hours total. I will say though that the glue was SUPER sticky! We had to wear gloves and be really careful about standing on the concrete subfloor where the glue was. We kept getting stuck! Lesson learned: do NOT walk on the glue without shoes on. #pregobrain
Here are some in-progress shots!
Once we finally got that done, the next thing we needed to tackle before the new floors could be installed was removing the built-in in the living room.
This part of the project involves renting a large van, filling said van with many, many pounds of debris, letting it sit overnight on the lawn (because I was confused on what day of the week it actually was... woops!! -- can I blame #pregobrain twice in one post?!) and a call to the tow truck company. This is still a sore subject with Aaron, but it's been long enough that I think we can all laugh about it now... or just I can laugh about it. Either one. Let's talk about that fiasco next post! :)
Our biggest DIY project the past few months has been preparing ourselves for our little mystery babe to arrive! Btw I am basically DYING to know if there's a little boy or a little girl in my belly. Eeee! We'll know soon enough!
When I found out I was pregnant back in January, I pretty much received the swiftest kick in the butt EVER! This new 9 month countdown that was suddenly looming over my head was just the motivation I needed to get a project list mapped out and a timeline assigned to each task on the list.
We had BIG goals for the house that we wanted to complete before baby's arrival because let's face it, nothing is happening on the project front here right after baby is born. We'll be too busy snuggling that new little human and I am relatively certain that we will be consumed with laundry (we're cloth diapering) and just trying to stay showered/fed. :)
Here's the big guys I had included on my Before Baby project list:
New floors throughout the house
Tear out living room built-in and re-configure that room's layout
Nursery -- Top to bottom overhaul!
Laundry room makeover
Get the kitty litter moved out of the 3rd bathroom and into the garage (this was huge to me)
Move the dining table to the eat-in kitchen and turn the dining room into my office
Turn old office into 2nd guest bedroom
Spruce up the outside
I am SO happy/relieved to say that with 1 month until baby's due date, we have tackled everything on that list!!
I'm excited to share with you all some of the progress we've made over here! This house looks nothing like it did when we moved in 2 years ago. :) Hope you're as excited to see as I am to share! Stay tuned!!
Oh and just for fun, here are some Instagram pics from the past few months! Be sure to follow along @fabvintage to stay up-to-date with all things house and Baby Z! :)